Design Intern - Summer 2019
F. Schumacher & Co. is America’s leading name for manufacturing and distributing fabric, wall covering, floorcovering and furnishings and is seeking a Textile Design Intern for Summer 2019 for our fabric and wallpaper brand, Schumacher. We are seeking a well-organized, detail-oriented and motivated student with excellent taste and an interest in interior decorating. This position requires the ability to work quickly and wear many hats in a small department. This internship will be part time, with the intern working 2-3 full days a week.
Support the design studio as an intern across all categories: prints, wovens, wallcovering and trims
- Learn about and assist with the design process from the beginning stages to final approval
- Help with basic layouts and color work
- Assist with incoming production and approvals in the studio
- Cut wovens color blankets for review
- Construct well-organized boards for press previews, sales meetings, etc.
YOU HAVE/ ARE:
Enthusiastic about textiles and design
- Experience with photoshop, textile computer software a plus
- Organized, thorough and detail oriented
- An artistic eye-- strong painting and drawing skills, and an understanding of color mixing and color theory
- An understanding of layouts and repeats
- An understanding of prints and wovens techniques
- A no-task-is-too-small attitude and willingness to pitch in as needed
- Ability to multi task, and to work efficiently in a busy studio environment, follow directions, stay organized, and happily execute projects with accuracy
F. Schumacher & Co is a 130-year‐old interior design company that creates and distributes fabric, wallcovering and furniture to skilled businesses around the world. Our family‐owned company is synonymous with style, taste and innovation. Our collections are comprehensive, with an extraordinary range united by respect for classicism, an eye for the cutting edge, and an unparalleled level of quality.
But don’t be fooled! While we celebrate our storied heritage, we operate like a 130-year‐old startup. Our talented team is innovative and dynamic, and our culture is progressive and fun. In order continue our success; we are always looking for talented people that fit.
- Culture: In our company, you’re judged by your ideas and results, not by your experience or title. So, we encourage you to be thoughtful, casual, and to speak your mind.
- Development: We strive every day to develop you and your colleagues for what we believe is a challenging and supportive business environment.
- Teamwork: We believe that success and efficiency can only be a product of collaboration. At FSCO, working together is the rule, not the exception.
- Innovation: We have achieved success and longevity through innovation. And we encourage experimentation and rule breaking. Mistakes? Those are things we embrace, talk about and learn from.
- Life balance: Focused, productive time is more important than long hours. We believe in having enough time to be happy both in the office and out of it.